August 30th, 2009
Game week started with this morning's practice on Cooke/Ching Field. Several notes:
• It appears that Brent Rausch has nudged ahead of Bryant Moniz in the competition for the No. 2 quarterback's job. Rausch took most of the snaps. "You have to report what you see," head coach Greg McMackin said.
• Defensive right end Fetaiagogo Fonoti did not practice because of a variety of ailments. But he said he will resume practicing this week and he promised to be ready for Friday's opener against Central Arkansas.
• Center John Estes resumed practicing after missing about four workouts because of a bruised left shin.
• There is concern about left cornerback Tank Hopkins' availability after he missed another practice because of an injured hip flexor. Lametrius Davis and Lewis Walker, who has been impressive the past week, are competing at left cornerback in Hopkins' absence.
• Safety Gary Nagy, a Kahuku graduate who relinquished a BYU scholarship to return home, has been cleared to practice. He must redshirt this season in accordance with NCAA transfer rules. After that, he will have two years to play two seasons. He attended BYU for three semesters.
And here are some old-school highlights:
* * * * *
Happy birthday, Momo
* * * * *
A friend needs some help. He's doing a story on Harry Kalas. Does anybody remember his broadcast partner for Hawaii Islander games? Thanks.