• I just noticed a quirk in the men's volleyball schedule. The Warriors play their final regular-season home matches, against UC San Diego, Friday and Saturday. But wait. The following week, April 10, is the alumni match. So when does UH celebrate Senior Night?
• With last night's sweep of Pepperdine, Charlie Wade has to be the leading contender for Coach of the Year. Sure, the Warriors were expected to be better with the addition of Jonas Umlauft, who was recruited by Mike Wilton and Tino Reyes. But as we've learned, having promise isn't the same as keeping a promise. Wade has done an excellent job of keeping the players motivated and focused. What's more, the Warriors have played better in the road rematches, adjustments made by watching videos projected on hotel walls. That's good coaching.
• Kelly Majam's pursuit of Kate Robinson's single-season home run record is not exactly the McGwire-Sosa chase. It's better. Majam is an amazing player.
• It also is fun to watch the Rainbow Wahine's infield. They might not be the most artful defenders, but they are gritty and they make plays. Watching Amanda Taualii dive for a ball — in foul territory — shows this team's passion.
• I need to start paying more attention. Apparently, the coaches were raving about defensive end Kamalu Umu's play against the first-team offense in last year's practices. Umu should be one of more intriguing players to watch when spring training opens Wednesday.
* * * * *
Happy birthday to our lady of love — Liz Kauai.