Warriors select captains
In voting by Warrior players, slotback Greg Salas, defensive tackle Vaughn Meatoga and linebacker Corey Paredes were named team captains for this year. A fourth captain will be named for each game, based on the number of votes received. Safety Spencer Smith will be a captain for the Sept. 2 USC game.
* * * * *
• Know how the Olympic teams used to train in altitude to prepare for competition at sea level? Whether intended or not, practicing on the grass field and Ching Athletic Complex's artificial turf gave the Warriors a boost when they worked out on Aloha Stadium's FieldTurf last night. Sltoback Kealoha Pilares was among several who insisted that the stadium's turf — with "blades" that have been worn down — has better traction, making it a faster surface for players. And that's good for the Warriors' four-wide offense.
• The past couple of weeks, the buzz has been that Bryant Moniz is reaching Tim Chang-like status in knowledge of the offense. Not sure if that is accurate, but from a field-level perspective, Moniz was pretty impressive last night. He completed 27 of 34 passes — three were dropped — included 7 of 9 in the red zone. Of course, this was against the scout defense, but he was able to go through his progressions quickly and hit receivers on fades, slants, posts and inside screens.
• Allen Sampson worked as a punt returner yesterday. It's going to be difficult to keep him off the active list.
• Not sure if it was to get more reps, but Chauncy Winchester-Makainai was the No. 1 right guard yesterday. Adrian Thomas usually has that spot.
• It was good to see running back Alex Green and linebacker Aaron Brown practicing. "It's game week, you know how that is," head coach Greg McMackin said, a reference to his practice-to-play policy. It actually was the team's medical staff that had sidelined Green and Brown. It was the right move, considering Brown no longer appears to be favoring the right ankle that was sprained.
• The original schedule had the Warriors practicing Sunday. That will now be a day off. The Warriors will practice today, tomorrow, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
• Do people still use raw steak to heal a black eye? And why did they do that in the first place? By the way, nobody has a black eye. I was just having a random thought.
* * * * *
Let's play the Independence Game. You're the UH athletic director. Your team is going independent starting in 2011. You have to make the schedules for 2011, 2012 and 2013. A few things: You're not allowed to schedule a BCS team for a home game in October or the first three weeks of November. You may not schedule a team from a conference with a league championship game in the final week of November or December. You may not schedule games in August. UH games already set may not be moved. You must play a 13-game schedule, with a minimum of six home games. Winner gets to be blog host for a day.
Here are UH's future schedules:
Sept. 3 — Colorado
Sept. 10 — at Washington
Sept. 17 — at UNLV
Sept. 24 — UC Davis
Dec. 3 — Oregon State
Sept. 1 — at USC
Sept. 8 — at BYU
Sept. 15 — Lamar
Sept. 22 — UNLV
Dec. 1 — Western Kentucky
Aug. 31 — USC
Sept. 14 — BYU
Nov. 30 — Army
Dec. 7 — Washington
If you wish to book Navy, here are the Midshipmen's open dates, but remember they need a bye before playing Army. 2011: 10/8, 11/26. 2012: 9/8, 11/3.