One of the NCAA's basic rules is a player transferring between Division I schools must sit out a season.
Or is it?
Quarterback Taylor Graham was working on a transfer from Ohio State when he learned of a case where a player was granted an exemption to play without missing a season. Graham petitioned for an exemption, but the request was denied. UH head coach Norm Chow said Graham's appeal also was recently denied.
"We gave it a shot," Graham said. "They came back and said, 'No.' That's all right. It was a long shot. I knew that. It is what it is. ... There are rules set in place. There's an appeals process. I figured, why not go for it and see what happens?"
Graham said the exemption had no bearing on his decision to transfer to UH.
"I was coming here no matter what," Graham said. "In the process of it, while thinking it through, I thought I'd give (the request) a shot."
Graham has embraced his role in drills. "I'll help out the team any way I can," he said.
* * * * *
In related Warrior news:
• Receiver Justin Clapp will not be able to participate in contact drills for three weeks after undergoing a procedure to ease cartilage discomfort in his left knee.
• Inside receiver Miah Ostrowski entered UH as a grayshirt in January 2008, meaning his 5-year eligibility clock expires at the end of the 2012 football season. He said he has not requested an exemption that would allow him to play basketball during the 2013 spring semester.
• Jordan Monico has moved from fullback to linebacker, a position he played in 2011. Monico initially joined the Warriors as a running back.
• While cornerback Mike Edwards recovers from offseason shoulder surgery, the Warriors have rotated several cornerbacks. Yesterday's No. 1 corners were Dee Maggitt and John Hardy-Tuliau. Brian Clay, who had been practicing at cornerback, was the nickelback. Leroy Lutu and Bubba Poueu-Luna were the safeties.
• Wide receiver Trevor Davis made a nice acrobatic catch yesterday. Davis and Billy Ray Stutzmann have been taking first-team reps. During an 11-on-11 drill yesterday, Scott Harding was getting No. 1 reps as the inside receiver in three-receiver sets.
• Chow instructed an assistant to distribute rosters to fans attending yesterday's practice.
* * * * *
Hope everybody has been working on their arm curls, because we're raising a big toast to Koakane in celebration of his birthday. (Fire codes prevent us from lighting all of his birthday-cake candles.) Eat, drink and be a merry Monarch.