By Stephen Tsai
Waianae High defensive tackle Kennedy Tulimasealii has accepted an invitation to play in the Under Armour All-America Game.
The game is scheduled for Jan. 4 at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Fla.
Tulimasealii remains true to his commitment to play for the Warriors in 2013. He has received several offers since making an oral commitment a couple of weeks ago.
* * * * *
Time will be the judge on Ben Jay's upcoming tenure as UH athletic director. In a telephone interview last night night, he appears to be smart and driven — two good qualities needed for the daunting tasks he faces.
It is hoped Jay will succeed. Still, Manoa chancellor Tom Apple needs to know for similar situations in the future:
• No more head-hunting firms.
• No more selection committees. It's always good to get input from business leaders who write checks to the athletic department. There are problems with convening committees. Somebody will be left out. There can't be a 20-member selection committee. (Oh, wait, that happened when HF was hired.) Athletic department officials should not be making big banking decisions. Bankers should not be making athletic department decisions. (Mitch Ka‘aiali‘i is the exception.)
* * * * * *
Speaking of Tom Apple, here are the more memorable Apples:
• Adam's Apple
• Gwyneth Paltrow's daughter
• The Beatles' record label
• The late Steve Jobs' job
• Dick Tomey's "Apples and oranges" commercial