Setting the rotation
In preparation for the opener, the Rainbow Warriors narrowed the rotation at each of the positions. The rotations should hold through the first game, but it also does not mean that some players wearing the scout team's yellow won't be in white (offense) or black (defense) in the following week's practices. Some of the position scouts also might play on special teams against USC.
• No surprise, but for this week, the quarterbacks are Taylor Graham, Sean Schroeder and Jeremy Higgins. But Ikaika Woolsey might be used as the holder.
• As many as nine receivers might play against USC. Expect Chris Gant and Marcus Kemp to get most of the work at X, and Vasquez Haynes and Keith Kirkwood to split time at Z. Scott Harding is the top inside receiver. All five are considered to be starters.
• With Joey Iosefa likely to miss the USC game, there will be a newcomer at running back. The leading candidates are Faga Wily, Steven Lakalaka, Diocemy Saint Juste and Willis Wilson. Don't count out Jason Muraoka, who has been wearing a white jersey.
• Craig Cofer has practiced as a tight end and defensive end. It appears there is a greater need for him at defensive end this week.
• Last year, it was Ne'Quan Phillips and Marrell Jackson breaking into secondary rotation as true freshmen. This year, it's corners Barry Higdon, Kwamane Bowens and Anthony Pierce, and safety Trayvon Henderson.