By Stephen Tsai
Hawaii football fans should have reasons to be optimistic following yesterday's abbreviated version of the Scout Bowl.
Running back Diocemy Saint Juste, who started as a way to get live reps, opened with a 65-yard run for a touchdown. It confirmed what everybody already knew: Saint Juste has that special second-gear burst that portends a solid future.
Ikaika Woolsey, who was 9 of 13 for 143 yards, also is progressing well.
Tight end Josh Long showed he is 100 percent. Long suffered a concussion from a skateboard accident in June. Being allowed to skip training camp helped him completely recover. He said he is find, and is using this redshirt season to develop.
Two transfers — linebacker Jeremy Castro (UCLA) and receiver Quinton Pedroza (Utah) — also made big plays in the scrimmage. Castro made a backfield tackle on Saint Juste. Pedroza scored on a 65-yard play.
* * * * *
• Diocemy Saint Juste rush 65 yards for TD
• False start
• False start
• Ikaika Woolsey complete 10 yards to Duke Bukoski
• Woolsey complete 24 yards to Bukoski
• Sainte Juste rush for minus-4 (Jeremy Castro)
• Willis Wilson rush for 0 yards
• Woolsey complete 7 yards to Bukoski
• Woolsey incomplete to Max Broman
• Woolsey incomplete to Quinton Pedroza
• Woolsey sacked for minus-5 (David Manoa)
• Jason Muraoka rush for 2
• Jason Muraoka rush for minus-4 (Deon Leatimua)
• Woolsey complete 2 yards to Muraoka (Leatimua)
• Woolsey incomplete to Pedroza
• Muraoka rush for minus-3 (Leatimua)
• Woolsey complete 65 yards to Pedroza for TD
• Woolsey complete 0 yards to Bukoski (Barry Higdon)
• Woolsey complete 22 yards to Josh Long
• Josh Gonda rush for 0 yards
• Woolsey complete 6 yards to Broman
• Gonda rush for minus-1
• Woolsey complete 11 yards to Ammon Barker
• Gonda rush for 0 yards
• Woolsey intercepted on dropped pass